Massage Policies and Proceedures
It is our intention to provide our guests with a professional and therapeutic massage. The following policies and procedures serve as a guide for first-time and regular massage guests of Island Spa and Wellness. At Island Spa and Wellness, we understand that unanticipated events occur in everyone's life. Unforeseen events such as car problems, traffic considerations, business meetings, and project deadlines, are just a few reasons why one might consider canceling a massage appointment.
In our commitment to provide a unique and outstanding massage experience to all of our clients and out of consideration for our therapists' time, we have adopted the following policies:
SCOPE OF PRACTICE • Island Spa and Wellness Massage therapists are licensed professionals and held to the highest standards of the American Massage Therapy Association. • Massage Therapy is a profession in which the practitioner applies manual techniques, and may apply adjunctive therapies, with the intention of positively affecting the health and well-being of the client. • Massage Therapists do not diagnose or prescribe for medical conditions nor are they allowed to provide treatment for a specific condition without a doctor's supervision. The massage therapist is required to refer you for diagnosis and to follow recommendations of your physician. RESPECT FOR CLIENT NEEDS AND BOUNDARIES • Island Spa and Wellness Massage Therapists are happy to adjust pressure, temperature, musical volume, work longer on an area or move on if you request it. • The client may choose to: leave on as much clothing as needed for comfort, refuse any massage methods, stop massage at any time and is free to leave; the therapy door is never locked. • The client will always be modestly draped. Only the area being massaged will be undraped. The clients will be kept informed of the area to be massaged. • Occasionally, an emotional response to massage occurs. If this happens, it is ok to express the feelings in our safe, nonjudgmental environment - or you may request privacy and end the session. You are in control. PROFESSIONAL BOUNDARIES • Requests for sexual activity will not be tolerated, will be viewed as solicitation, and reported to the proper authorities under the guidelines of the massage therapy policies and procedures. The client will not be rescheduled if this occurs. • The genital area will not be massaged under any circumstances. Permission will be asked before working close to these areas; otherwise, a professional distance will be maintained. Sexual interaction or discussion of any kind between the client and the massage therapist is NEVER appropriate. On rare occasions an involuntary sensual response to massage is natural and will subside on its own in a few moments. • We do not massage anyone under the age of 18. CONFIDENTIALITY AND CONVERSATION • The discussion between the massage therapist and the client is confidential. The client may or may not choose to talk during the massage. • We are happy to listen to your conversation and share our professional expertise. We prefer to not discuss topics of a private or sexual nature. EXISTING AND NEW MEDICAL CONDITIONS • It is the responsibility of the client to keep the massage therapist informed of any medical treatment currently being taken, and to provide written permission from the physician, chiropractor, physical therapist, etc., that the massage may be continued. • The client must also keep the massage therapist informed of any changes in health conditions. • For clients undergoing chemo and radiation therapies - Please note that we require a doctor's note that states the doctor is aware of and agrees to the desired treatment. If you have any questions on the above information, please direct them to the Marq James at 404-376-5142
- ARRIVAL TO YOUR MASSAGE Please arrive for your appointment 15 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time. This allows you the time to fill out the appropriate client form (new clients), change and prepare for the service. All massages have a specific time schedule and early arrival allows for a relaxed and unhurried experience. If late arrival is inevitable, your service(s) may be shortened in order to keep on schedule. The original treatment time will be charged. Payment Island Spa and Wellness accepts cash, and major credit cards with a valid state issued drivers license or US passport. Cash is highly recommended on your 1st visit.
- CANCELLATION POLICY Please provide at least 24 hours notice if you need to reschedule or cancel a treatment. This gives the salon or spa enough time to fill the slot. If a client fails to cancel within 24 hours multiple times (2 or more),they will be asked to pre-pay for future services.
- LATE ARRIVAL POLICY We regret that late arrivals will not receive extension of scheduled appointments. In special cases, and when our schedule will allow, we may be able to accommodate a partial or full appointment. This will be at our discretion and only with proper, advanced notification of your late arrival. The original reservation fee will be charged.
- NO SHOW POLICY Clients who fail to show for appointments may be asked to pre-pay for future services. It is important that our massage therapists are compensated for reserved time slots.
- Other Massage Policies INFORMED CONSENT Prior to each massage session, the treatment plan will be discussed with you. At your first visit with us you will receive a copy of the massage therapy policies and will be asked to sign the consent stating that you have read the information, understand it, and agree to comply with the professional massage therapy policies and procedures. Clients who we have not seen for at least a year will also be asked to fill out this form.
Address: 1782 Lyle Ave, College Park, GA 30337